Our Dexter, MI Practice’s HVAC System
Patient safety is our top priority, now more than ever due to COVID-19. To protect the health of our patients and dental team alike, we’ve upgraded our HVAC system at our Dexter, Michigan office. Along with other safety precautions for your comfort and protection, this upgrade helps ensure your family can seek quality dental care with confidence.
About Our Upgraded HVAC System
We strive to maintain a comfortable environment in our office, keeping patients cool in the summer months and warm during Michigan winters. However, an HVAC system does more than simply regulate temperature, it also circulates air throughout the facility and provides purification to eliminate harmful particles, including airborne pathogens.
Installed with concerns about COVID-19 in mind, our HVAC system upgrade provides a higher level of air filtration to reduce the risk associated with indoor spaces. Additionally, it filters more frequently, circulating clean, fresh air throughout our facility.
The Role of HVAC in COVID-19 Prevention
Along with proper cleaning and disinfection techniques, personal protective equipment (PPE), and social distancing, an upgraded HVAC system maintains a healthier environment and allows patients to receive essential care with less worry about virus transmission. Increasing filtration capabilities and ensuring all system components remain in good condition is essential to promoting dental patient safety.
Additionally, it is recommended to maximize the system’s fresh air intake before, during, and after hours of operation. Because of this, you may notice our offices are slightly cooler than usual. We encourage all patients to dress accordingly and bring a sweater or jacket to stay comfortable during your visit.
Additional Safety Precautions
Our upgraded HVAC system is only one aspect of a comprehensive COVID-19 prevention strategy. Dexter Family Dentistry practices many other precautions to create the safest environment possible in compliance with guidance set forth by the American Dental Association (ADA), Michigan Dental Association (MDA), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA & MiOSHA), Organization for Safety, Asepsis and Prevention (OSAP), the CDC, and state and local health departments. These include:
- Minimized dental aerosol generation during COVID-19 as recommended by CDC and MIOSHA;
- Upgraded HVAC filters and increased HVAC filter change frequency to four times yearly, as performed by CMR Mechanical;
- Ensure HVAC units bring in the maximum allowable fresh air at all times;
- Installed portable HEPA filtration throughout the office in each treatment room, as well as the sterilization area, staff room and offices;
- Rewired exhaust fans to run 24/7 as performed by Hopp Electric;
- Deep cleaning all office HVAC air return and air exhaust grills;
- Providing appropriate PPE for dentists and clinical team members, including N-95 respirators, safety goggles, face shields, & surgical gowns;
- Recommend face coverings of all visitors (please note that if you do not have a face mask, one will be provided at no cost);
- Improving patient suction systems that minimize aerosolized particles during treatments;
- Instituting social distancing protocols in the waiting room, as well as for exit and entrance;
- Rigorous cleaning of frequently touched surfaces between appointments;
To minimize contact with office staff, all patient forms are available online and visitors are asked to wait outside in their vehicle until notified to enter the building. Additional information about billing, appointment scheduling, and more are available by calling 734-426-9000.
Prioritizing Dental Patient Safety in All We Do
Since 2006, Dexter Family Dentistry has served Dexter, MI, and the surrounding areas with trusted preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dental care and premier customer service. Today, we remain dedicated to providing a safe, welcoming environment for all patients, especially as public health concerns due to COVID-19 continue. Contact us online now to schedule an appointment or learn more about our preventative, restorative, and cosmetic dental procedures or our HVAC system and other safety precautions.